4.24.2011

The Downtown Beat

Alley between Front Porch and The Padre
We make history as we live it.

Downtown Beat aims to record a living micro-history of Bakersfield's historic Downtown District as it is experienced its residents: a portrait of a neighborhood. I hope to spotlight the people, places, and events that make up the diverse, fascinating, and sometimes downright strange place that's at the cultural center of the Southern San Joaquin Valley.

It's been said by many who live here and who have left Bakersfield that there's a serious lack of culture and a disparate, unconnected community. I agree that perhaps the cultural scene hasn't developed like our counterparts' and that there's more work to do. However, I wholeheartedly disagree that Bakersfield's a "cultureless city" and that's what I hope Downtown Beat will help demonstrate.

It's a matter of recognition. You'll find culture all around you--in the architecture of houses and apartment complexes, alleyway graffitti and art galleries, churches and bars, and in the songs of buskers and conversations at the GET bus hub. I didn't understand the richness of Bakersfield until I left, until I became a transplant somewhere else, a foreigner. That said, these are the stories of one woman, an individual, and I speak only for myself and my experiences. But I begin this blog with the desire that I create a conversation between community members about what's important to you and what you want your Bakersfield experience to be.

My hope is that this blog will become a place to organize, to connect individuals within our community, and to share stories. If anything interests you on a personal level or you'd like to share something, please comment on the site. Please feel free to send me suggestions about what you'd like me to cover at janefriday@hotmail.com with the subject line "Downtown Beat."

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment